Happy Hump Day! Or in my life, "First Day of the Internship That Determines My Future Day."
It's gonna be a good one.
Anyway, while trying to get organized for the start of the school year, I just about lost my mind. Why is this? Well, i've mentioned a few times that we live not far outside of D.C. in a very super teeny tiny apartment (my NYC friend Cayla calls it "spacious," which is one of many reasons i'm not a city girl). When moving into this apartment, we went from two full size walk in closets to one, very small, not even bathroom sized closet.
This is the kind of stuff we should have covered in pre-marital counseling. Sharing a closet, co-managing a fantasy football team, and distinct differences in movie tastes. All things that can ruin a marriage, if you let them.
So, now that i've been married a month and know everything (yeah, right), I thought i'd share some of the ways we found closet compromise.
1) There is only one small section that is tall enough for dresses. Because of this, it was easy to decide that would be mine. In fact, my husband suggested it! Good guy, right?
2) My husband offered to take the bottom row, because, as he put it "it's ok if my clothes touch the floor."
3) Shoes. We have them on two different sides of the closet. Luckily, neither one of us has a huge shoe problem, and while they look messy above, they don't take up all that much space.
4) Shelves. I took the top and he took the lower ones. Keeping with the rest of the closet, you know?
5) On the top shelves are things like purses, sweatshirts, and the 75 thousand t-shirts we have leftover from our days at Virginia Tech. This important stuff, right?
This level of organization is recent, since we got married. And quite frankly, this is even what I'd call organized. We sat down together and got rid of a lot of stuff we had carried over from college, and talked about what should go where and why. It's amazing how far a little communication can get you! However, there's another thing we agree on... this isn't working out so well for us.
Now, to the point of this post - we are looking for tips on how to more effectively share this space! We both have a dresser as well, and we don't have any other closets. I know some of you out there are small space geniuses, so I can't wait to hear your suggestions!
Oh, and for those of you about to get married, or do the cohabitation thing, or both... start thinking about your closet priorities. You never know when you'll have to talk about those kind of things!